If you have a question that is not answered in the below list please don’t hesitate to Contact Us
1. What types of people take the TEFL Course?
People of all ages take the course from retirees to school leavers and there are often students representing countries all over the world. TEFL attracts adventurous and fun people and you will have no trouble making friends with those who are likely to become future colleagues and travel buddies.
2. I don’t have a degree and have never taught before. Can I still take a TEFL course?
Certainly! You don’t need to have any prior teaching experience or qualifications to take a TEFL or TESOL course. Our course will equip you with all the skills necessary to conduct effective lessons. Our emphasis on the practical aspect of teaching, with observed teaching practice covering primary, secondary, adult and one-to-one levels, will ensure you are confident to step into any classroom.
3. Why should I do a 4-week practical TEFL Course rather than taking a cheaper online TEFL course ?
Having to teach in front of a class of children gives you real experience and this is what future employers are looking for. The majority of people hate talking in front of a group let alone in front of a class or whole school! By doing your first few lessons under the tuteledge of the course leaders your confidence will grow and make you a better teacher. Employers are more ready to employ you if you are in the country , trained in the country. and have real experience in their culture. The course itself is fast moving and motivating. We know many students who start an online course and never complete it for one reason or another therefore wasting their money. Doing the course on site will also help you ease into your abroad experience by linking you up with a network of new friends, and helping you navigate a foreign culture!
4. What is the difference between TEFL and TESOL?
For all intents and purposes the terms basically mean the same, with TEFL more common in the UK, and TESOL more common in the US. There is a slight technical difference since TESOL refers to learners whose first language is not English, although they may speak English in their daily lives. TEFL refers to “foreign” students, learning English as a foreign language. These students do not use English regularly and therefore have different usage and comprehension problems.
5. My grammar skills aren’t the best – not sure whether I could make it through!
Believe it or not, as a native speaker, you already know grammar quite well! It’s more the terminology that you may not know. We assume that you know nothing of the terminology when you start on our course, so it’s our job to teach you the basics needed to teach grammar effectively in the classroom.
6. Do I need knowledge of other languages?
No. Our TEFL Course uses the international standard communicative approach to teaching, where English is the only language used in the classroom.
7. Can non-native speakers of English take the TEFL Course ?
Applications are welcomed regardless of first language or nationality. The only requirements are a proficient level of both spoken and written English and an understanding of the intensive nature of the course. Island TEFL has trained teachers from a number of different backgrounds with great success. A brief telephone interview to ascertain your level of fluency will be necessary before your application can be approved.
8. Is there an age limit?
We have no official upper age limit, but you must be 18 years of age or older for your application to be considered. If you are a person of “more mature years”, don’t let this in itself put you off applying. If you are receptive to learning, you should have no problems. NB: Some employers may have an upper age limit.
9. Will my TEFL certificate be recognised around the world?
Yes. Upon successful completion of our 4-week TEFL course, you will receive a certificate which is recognized worldwide. Our TEFL course meets and exceeds the basic international criteria of 100+ hours of classroom time and 6+ hours of observed teaching practice. We often hear from students, “Do I need a CELTA to teach around the World?” In short the answer is no! Some jobs specify that they want a CELTA but those are rare cases. The vast majority, perhaps over 95% of employers only require the ‘normal’ TESOL/TEFL certification.
10. Where can I work with a TEFL certificate?
Pretty much anywhere in the world where English is not the native language (and even some where it is!) Check out our Employment Opportunities page for more details on countries around the world where you can find teaching positions.
11. What are my chances of finding a job after the course? Can you help with this?
Your chances of finding a job after successful completion of our course are excellent! Our Volunteer Packages are an excellent option for those wishing to improve their resume and give something back to the local community. Evidence of this voluntary teaching will be highly beneficial when applying for future EFL teaching jobs. Our staff assist all graduates with advice and information on teaching opportunities in Thailand, where EFL teachers are in high demand.
12. Is the TEFL Course intensive? Will I have time to see the sights?
Yes, the course is intensive, and you will need to commit yourself to some independent study/planning outside of classroom input sessions, but we schedule in quite a bit of time within the 4-week TEFL course for planning and preparation. If you balance your workload and make good use of your time whilst in the classroom, you will have weekends to enjoy the sights of your beautiful chosen location, or just chill out at the beach!
13. How do I know if I’m suitable?
If you are to be a teacher of English, a high standard of both spoken and written English is required. This does not necessarily mean your knowledge of grammatical terminology, but your use of English. As our 4-week TEFL course is very intensive, you have to be prepared to work hard and commit yourself. You should also be presentable in appearance. Finally, you need to want to teach. We’ll teach you how – you’ll decide how well you do!
14. Why should I book through S.E.A Backpacker?
- We have hand-picked the best TEFL Schools across Thailand to affiliate with.
- The course we have chosen exceeds all international criteria, with emphasis placed on practical teaching experience.
- We have a low student to instructor ratio which ensures that students get quality attention. The ratio averages between 6-8 students per instructor.
- Observed teaching practice covering 3 areas: young learners, adult and one-to-one.
- For those choosing the Volunteer Placement Packages, we arrange for graduates to begin teaching immediately. after successful completion of the course in local schools, learning centres and businesses.
- We provide ongoing support, advice and resources for all graduates placed in volunteer positions.
- We strive to make the learning environment nurturing and supportive.
- We are located in beautiful tropical paradises, with sun and fun at your fingertips!
- Our complete package is not only very affordable and of the highest quality, but offers far more than most others available.
- We are a very happy and enthusiastic team and we have fun!