Nha Trang’s 6km of long, white sandy beach is widely regarded as the best in Vietnam and is the destination’s biggest draw for many backpackers in need of some ‘beach R & R’ after exploring the busy towns and cities of Vietnam. It’s the nearest you’ll get to your stereotypical ‘beach holiday’ in Vietnam, complete with the tourist touts and sellers. After a few days sunbathing on the beach, many backpackers take boat cruises for the day to explore the surrounding coast line and go swimming or snorkeling in the clear waters. Nha Trang is also becoming more popular amongst scuba divers.
Chilling at the floating bar whilst on a boat trip in Nha Trang, Vietnam
Places to Stay in Nha Trang
- “Mini-hotel alley” at 64 Tran Phu: Tucked down an alleyway not far from the beach and the nightlife, this is where you’ll find a number of cheap guesthouses and hostels. Most rooms here are less than $15 a night and usually have en-suite bathrooms and air conditioning.
Things to do in Nha Trang
- Wallow in Mud: Just outside of town, you can visit Nha Trang’s famous ‘mineral mud baths,’ which are a popular day’s getaway for backpackers. Thap Ba Hot Springs and Mud baths charge around 50,000 Dong for entry and use of their swimming pools and waterfall, while the mud comes at an extra cost of around 100,000. Look out for packages which include a massage too and really spoil yourself…
- Take the Cable Car to Vinpearl Land: This Westernised island hosts Underwater World Aquarium, a Water Park, a roller coaster filled Amusement Park and many small restaurants. A day can easily be wiled away here.
- Swim in the Waterfalls: Just a short drive from the city there are a number of beautiful waterfalls, perfect for cooling off in or to get a free ‘Fish Foot Spa’ from the toe-nibbling creatures living in the turquoise pools. The Ba Ho Waterfalls are 20km north of Nha Trang, while the Yang Bay Waterfalls are 40km west… Grab a taxi from town or hire a motorbike as the scenic rides to either make for a good mini-adventure.
- Do a day’s Boat Trip: These can be found everywhere you go in Nha Trang, so look around to spot the deals which include lunch and have the best itineraries. Expect to pay around $6 for an island hopping trip. Some even provide onboard entertainment in the form of a coconut-bra clad band!
- Enjoy Live Music: There are a huge number of bars and restaurants providing free live music to pass away your evenings… Ask around and pick the genre for you, from Mexican or traditional Vietnamese, to open mic nights. Take along your dancing shoes.
Cooling off in the natural mineral Mud Baths in Nha Trang, Vietnam