- Currency: Cambodian Riel (US Dollars accepted). ATMS will dispense dollars. Local shop owners will gladly accept dollars, but will often give change back in Riel. It is therefore advisable to change dollars to Riel prior to making purchases as designated money changing locations will give you better exchange rates.
- Capital city: Phnom Penh
- Main religion: Theravada Buddhism (95%)
- Main Language: Khmer
- Telephone code: +855
- Time: GMT + 7 hours
- In an emergency: Ambulance: 119, Fire: 118, Police: 117
Cambodian Language Essentials
- Hello: Sua s’dei
- Thank-you: Aw kohn
- How are you?: Niak sok sabai te?
- What is your name?: Niak ch’mooah ei?
- See you later: Juab kh’nia
- That’s too much: t’lai pek
Cambodia Visa Information
Visa: Most nationalities can obtain a 1 month tourist Visa upon arrival which costs around $20. At land border crossings, notably the Thailand/Cambodia border, the fee can be more expensive as the cost is paid in baht and is sometimes rounded up considerably. You will need 1 or 2 passport photos to apply, or you will be charged extra (usually only $1-2.) Passports must be valid for up to 6 months before entering.
E-Visa: You can now apply for E-visa online to avoid extra fees and make your border crossing easier. Pre-order at: www. http://evisa.mfaic.gov.kh and your visa will cost $25 set price. You will need a digital photo of yourself to upload. Processing takes 3 days and you will get the visa straight to your mailbox. See official website for up to date info on which borders support the E-visa as not all of the crossings take it yet.
Visa extension: Obtained at Phnom Penh immigration office, opposite International Airport. Tourist visas can be extended 1 month. (Around US$35) For longer extensions ask at Immigration Office.
Penalty for late departure: US$5 / day.
The hottest month is April with temperatures hitting 40 degrees. The wet season starts in May or June and lasts until October. The downpours are heavy and do not last long. The best season to visit is December to February, when there is little rain, low humidity and cool breeze.