Koh Phi Phi Photography Expedition Itinerary:
Fancy taking home an album stuffed with photographs of postcard-perfect white sandy beaches and translucent turquoise seas? Then Koh Phi Phi is the photography expedition for you! From Maya Bay of The Beach fame to traditional longtail fishing boats and quiet coves – South Thailand is a travel photographers haven…
Dates are still to be confirmed. The Expedition will definitely be taking place during November / December period 2013. Contact us to be informed of further information or to reserve your place.
Provisional Dates for Koh Phi Phi = 20th-24th November
- Students meet expedition leaders Dylan Goldby and Flash Parker in Chiang Mai for a meet and greet session and introduction to the workshop.
- We begin with a seminar to teach you how to shoot beach landscape images in challenging light. When the tide retreats into the ocean we’ll look on shooting Thai Longboats against the dramatic karst backdrop of Ko Phi Phi Bay.
- As sunset approaches, we’ll trek through the lush jungle to a spectacular viewpoint that looks out over the entire island.
- On day two, we’ll rise really early to take advantage of the gentle light of sunrise, to shoot beautiful island landscape imagery.
- In the afternoon, we’ll work with off-camera flash and human subjects, fusing landscape and portrait imagery.
- When the sun sets in the evening we will look on shooting star trails and mixing them with landscapes that we’ve lit with our own artificial light.
- On day three we’ll head to legendary Maya Bay, where we’ll work on crafting the images that brought us to Thailand in the first place! What could be better than fishing boats and fisherfolk set against mighty limestone mountains rising out of the sea. These are backdrops ripped straight from movie scenes!
- For the entire day, we’ll explore each side of Maya Bay from dawn until dusk, capturing interesting images in all kinds of light.
- As the tourists drift back to the main island, we’ll spend an awe-inspiring night camping on Maya Bay – giving us another opportunity to shoot stunning night images. Plus, get to swim amongst the magical phosphorous plankton in the warm waters – lighting up like stars with each movement.
Mesmerising Maya Bay: Scenes ripped straight out of the movies
- Returning to Koh Phi Phi in the late morning, we’ll spend the first session of the day working on food photography on location (off-camera flash + ambient lighting techniques). This is the only session where you get to fact your subject afterwards!
- Our second session will take us back into the water to work on long-exposure ocean photography, with an eye to creating that glassy surface look we all know and love.
- Finally, in the evening, we’ll head to the the ring to shoot authentic Muay Thai fighters during and after their matches.
Creating glassy surfaces with long-exposure ocean photography
The cost per session is $100 USD per person, per day.
Participants who sign up for the entire four-day Koh Phi Phi expedition will receive $40 off the total price of $400. Total for three days = $360 USD.
Not included in the price:
- Flights (International and Domestic)
- Boat transfer from Phuket to Koh Phi Phi
- Passport / visa fees
- Vaccinations and medical coverage
- Food and drink
Deposit & How to Pay:
- A $100 USD deposit per participant is due at the time of booking, regardless of the number of sessions you plan to attend. The rest is payable in person when you arrive on the course.
- Pay online with PayPal
- An administration fee of $75 applies to all cancellations made more than less than 30 days prior to departure date.
- Trips may be cancelled over the phone but written confirmation (email and/or fax/letter) is required within 5 business days of initial cancellation.
- If the trip is canceled by Flash Light Photography Expeditions a full refund will be given.
Responsibility and Liability:
Flash Light Photography Expeditions, their agents and all those acting on their behalf act only in the capacity as agents in all matters pertaining to hotel accommodations, sightseeing tours, and transportation, and are not responsible for any loss, damage, theft, or injury to person or property resulting from a defect in any vehicle, or the actions of any persons who provide services for this tour or for the action or inaction of any third party. Baggage is at the owner’s risk entirely. Comprehensive personal artifact insurance is the sole responsibility of the owner. The tour operator reserves the right to withdraw the tour at any time, to decline any person as a member of the tour for any cause at any time.
It is the responsibility of each tour member to inform the tour operator of any possible health problems or handicaps upon registration. By forwarding a signed reservation form and trip deposit, you certify that you do not knowingly have any physical or other conditions of disability that would create a risk for you or other trip participants. Once a trip has been confirmed, medical circumstances will not be considered as exceptions to our cancellation policy. We assume no responsibility for medical care or for special dietary requirements.