Chiang Mai Photography Expedition Itinerary (3 days):
Travel photographers can’t help but fall in love with Thailand’s colorful capital of culture, Chiang Mai… which is why we’ve chosen the city as the starting point for our swashbuckling photography adventures! With over 300 twinkling temples, vibrant markets, street food, nightlife, robe-clad monks, hill tribe villages, mountains, waterfalls, lush jungle and elephant sanctuaries… there is so much to capture on camera in Chiang Mai, you are spoilt for choice!
In 2013, the Expedition will coincide with the Loi Krathong Festival of Lights in November, contact us for exact dates and to book.
Provisional Dates for Chiang Mai = 15th-17th November
- Students meet expedition leaders Dylan Goldby and Flash Parker at the S.E.A Backpacker Office in Chiang Mai for a meet and greet session and introduction to the workshop.
- The schedule begins with a crash-course in shooting in difficult lighting conditions at a local outdoor market.
- We then visit a few of the 300 temples in Chiang Mai to get our travel juices flowing…
- The day will finish with a night-shooting session on Loi Kroh Road, the beating heart of Chiang Mai’s vibrant nightlife scene. Night photography is often overlooked by travelers, but offers an opportunity to see the country in unique light.
- For those who wish, there will be an optional evening activity of shooting Thailand’s national sport, Muay Thai Boxing, at a local Chiang Mai Arena.
- On day two, we will rise early and head to a nearby hill-tribe village to shoot environmental portraits in both natural and artificial light. Students will learn how to craft beautiful portraits of people in their living and working environments. You will learn how to put your subjects at ease, how to pose subjects in natural ways, and how to create images that evoke a specific time and place.
- We will then head deeper into Northern Thailand’s rugged countryside to work on big, bold landscape images in all different types of light.
- Finally, we end the day at Our final session of the day sees us visiting the Mae Jo Temple for the Yi Peng Lantern Festival – where thousands of paper lateens, like glowing jelly fishes are released into the night sky.
- On our last day in Chiang Mai we’ll put together all the skills we’ve learned on a visit to Chiang Mai Gate Night Market. We’ll work on our environmental portrait techniques and shoot some of the urban landscape of Chiang Mai.
- In the afternoon we’ll head up to the famous temple, Wat Doi Suthep to take in the panoramic views over Chiang Mai and the rolling countryside.
- Finally, we’ll return to the city to shoot portraits of Chiang Mai’s monks at some of Chiang Mai’s very local temples.
- As an alternative option, students can choose a day at an Elephant Sanctuary just out die of Chiang Mai to get up close and person with these gentle giants.
The cost per session is $100 USD per person, per day.
Participants who sign up for the entire three-day Chiang Mai expedition will receive $30 off the total price of $300. Total for three days = $270 USD.
Not included in the price:
- Flights (International and Domestic)
- Passport / visa fees
- Vaccinations and medical coverage
- Food and drink
Deposit & How to Pay:
- A $100 USD deposit per participant is due at the time of booking, regardless of the number of sessions you plan to attend.
- Pay online with paypal.
- You can also pay your deposit in person at the South East Asia Backpacker office in Chiang Mai, Thailand-
- Office Address: S.E.A Backpacker Co., Ltd, 23/1/1 Rajvithi, Soi 2, Chiang Mai
- Office Tel: +66 (0)84 553 8996 (English)
- View location and map on Chiang Mai Grapevine
- The balance is due 14 days before starting the course.
- An administration fee of $75 applies to all cancellations made more than less than 30 days prior to departure date.
- Trips may be cancelled over the phone but written confirmation (email and/or fax/letter) is required within 5 business days of initial cancellation.
- If the trip is canceled by Flash Light Photography Expeditions a full refund will be given.
Responsibility and Liability:
Flash Light Photography Expeditions, their agents and all those acting on their behalf act only in the capacity as agents in all matters pertaining to hotel accommodations, sightseeing tours, and transportation, and are not responsible for any loss, damage, theft, or injury to person or property resulting from a defect in any vehicle, or the actions of any persons who provide services for this tour or for the action or inaction of any third party. Baggage is at the owner’s risk entirely. Comprehensive personal artifact insurance is the sole responsibility of the owner. The tour operator reserves the right to withdraw the tour at any time, to decline any person as a member of the tour for any cause at any time.
It is the responsibility of each tour member to inform the tour operator of any possible health problems or handicaps upon registration. By forwarding a signed reservation form and trip deposit, you certify that you do not knowingly have any physical or other conditions of disability that would create a risk for you or other trip participants. Once a trip has been confirmed, medical circumstances will not be considered as exceptions to our cancellation policy. We assume no responsibility for medical care or for special dietary requirements.