As of Sep 2012: Due to high demand, we are not offering any more applications for work experience placements or internships at the moment.
Work Experience Placements: 1-2 weeks
Have you always dreamed of becoming a travel writer? If you are interested in journalism and finding out how a travel magazine runs, we urge you to spend some time at the S.E.A Backpacker Office, getting involved in some day-to-day tasks and getting valuable experience on your CV!
We accept work experience placements for bright, enthusiastic candidates from a few days to a few weeks here at our office in Chiang Mai.
As we are a small team, you will be able to get involved in many sides of the business:
- Writing and editing
- Research and proof reading
- Sales, marketing and PR
- Website management
- Social networking promotion
If you are interested, please contact us and tell us why you would be an asset to the team.
Internships at S.E.A Backpacker Magazine: 1-3 months
(Please not that all internship placements are now closed)
S.E.A backpacker is at a rapid growth stage and we are looking for an enthusiastic individual who can help us grow and at the same time gain incredible, unique experience in a fascinating industry in a booming part of the world. We are looking to take on an intern from who will be based with us in South East Asia.
The intern will essentially be ‘executive shadowing’ the Director of the company Nikki Scott, gaining one-on-one tuition in all aspects of the publishing industry and working closely on exciting projects. Travel within South East Asia will be a fundamental part of the role and from day one you will be working as part of the team rather than as an observer. An internship at S.E.A Backpacker Co.,Ltd offers a glimpse into many areas of business and would be priceless in the eyes of future employees in any part of the world.
If the internship proves successful in the eyes of both S.E.A Backpacker Co.,Ltd and the chosen intern – there may be opportunity for future employment.
Requirements of an intern:
- Must have a university degree or be studying towards a university degree.
- Skills with Word, Excel, Internet savvy, bonus – Indesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, Video editing skills.
- Must have own laptop and be prepared to travel with it.
- The ideal candidate will have backpacked around South East Asia and be familiar with Asian culture.
- An enthusiastic, can-do attitude is an absolute MUST! At times this is truly the ‘best job in the world’ although this is South East Asia and you must be prepared for the unexpected and things are not always easy.
- The intern must be prepared for long days and be versatile. One day a job may be updating content on the website, the next it may be attending a travel fair or a new hostel opening and networking with backpackers. Another day it may be simply going on a boat trip and taking photos!
- An intern must be able to work independently and if necessary not be afraid of going off on a 1-week trip alone to research, look for advertisers or write an article.
- Creativity and a flair for problem solving. A YES attitude is a must!
What you will gain from this experience:
- The experience you will gain is invaluable. The Asian economy is booming right now and an insight into business and how it works in this part of the world is experience that is priceless in terms of the global employer.
- You will gain an insight into a growing business where you will be able to glimpse many different areas from marketing and PR to the logistics and financial aspects of running a company. As a small company you will learn about the mechanics of each area and get involved on many levels.
- Added benefits! Get to work and travel in this amazing part of the world – see beautiful beaches, jungles, temples, buzzing cities as part of the day to day. Exciting perks are likely – free diving, rock climbing, cooking courses, adventure tours and just living and working day to day in Asia is a once in a lifetime experience you will never forget!
- As the company grows there may be opportunity for future employment within S.E.A Backpacker Co.,Ltd and whether this be based in Asia or elsewhere, would be an exciting, challenging and highly rewarding role.
- Accommodation included.
- (Apart from return flight from UK – Asia) All other business travel expenses included – i.e. buses, trains, flights within SE Asia.